AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 1994 explorer, trying to remove the right front CV

Customer Question

I have a 1994 explorer, trying to remove the right front CV axle. It won't come out of the trans-axle.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've done a lot of CV axles. But this one won't come free of the trans. I just wondered if they have some other way of locking it in, possibly a bolt that would screw in with a groove in the end of the axle. Or is it just stuck to the point that I don't have a big enough HAMMER?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just about everything you can imagine. Beating from behind the inner tulip, to using a small slide hammer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Your truck has a CV joint and not a universal joint?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I'm sorry, it is a u-joint
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm just relaying what I'm told on the phone. Sorry for the miss-information.

No problem. I was just making sure we were on the same page. I will upload the removal and installation procedure for you. One minute

Ok. The axle should simply pull out with everything disassembled. Please review the following repair procedure to make sure that nothing was missed. Here is the procedure for the removal and installation. If you need anything else please let me know. If not please remember to rate. Thank you.

DANA FRONT DRIVE AXLE

Did you still need help?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. Just wanted to say that the info I received was not quite what I wanted. I didn't want to rate you bad, when I don't think you understood what I was asking. We gave up on removing the axle, and just changed the u-joint under the car. It appears that you need to disassemble the differential to remove the right axle. Thank-you Ted

Thank you. I'm sorry for the confusion, and greatly appreciate your understanding. If you do still need anything let me know and I will do my very best to get it for you. I have access to pretty much all repair data for your truck. If you would like, I will manually request that this question be closed so you stop getting the automated emails (which I assume you have been getting) Thank you.