Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Mi name is ***** *****, I have 95 escort and the gear on mi

Customer Question

Mi name is ***** *****, I have 95 escort and the gear on mi transmition is very fast and no return when go up the hill
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Eng 1.9 lt. The 1th gear star Ok and change inmediatelly to 2nd gear and 3th, when change the 4st gear no have change on RPM. I go fast up the hills and the car loose power and the RPM go up, manualy return to 2nd gear and nothing happen, manualy return to 1st gear and no have power. I stop put on Parking and start on 1st gear, manualy to 2nd and 3th, for 5 minute no problem. I change the ground cable and no have solution
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...

Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you