Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.

I am trying to figure out a chirping or squealing sound

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out a chirping or squealing sound coming from my engine. I opened the hood and saw, and heard, it was coming from the right side of the engine. The serpentine belt was jumping around a little bit on what I think is the idler wheel or perhaps its the tension pulley wheel (anyways its the wheel making contact with the smooth side of the belt). I inspected the belt, engine off, and the tension seems proper. The belt is in good shape and there are no rubber chunks missing and it isn't dried out. I believe it is going to be an accessory being driven by the belt. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? 2001 Ford Focus with A/C and Power Steering.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

HI there,

The first step I would take is to spray some water on the belt and see if the noise stops. If it does, then replace the belt. If not, then all you can really do is remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand. Usually if one is failing you can hear it vibrating or feel roughness in it when you spin it. If everything is good to go, and feels fine, then it's probably the tensioner. This is about the only way to trouble shoot this type of issue and yes, it's a pain to do, but never the less how we do it.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!