Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I just bought a 2008 ford f150 with 73K miles on it. I have

Customer Question

I just bought a 2008 ford f150 with 73K miles on it. I have the dreaded tick after the truck is at temp. The tick is fairly loud to me. I have listened to 2 other 2008 F150 engines with 100K miles on them and they do not have the tick at all.Took this back to the dealer I bought it from andcomplained about the ticking at idle. The service manager said it was normal and sent me on my way. Drove it for another week and then got pissed off at the tick noise again. It's not normal. Took it back to the dealer again and demanded to listen to another Ford F150 engine with similar miles. We listened to another 2008 F150 with 150K miles on it....not tick. Their response, some tick and some don't but the tick is normal.Driving with the windows down now I can hear a slight tick at acceleration mostly on the passenger side.I bought an extened powertrain warranty 5years/60k miles but my fear is they are not going to fix this issue or try to screw me on the warranty because there are no codes.Here is my engine noise is a similar truck that had the same tick and replacing the cam phasers fixed the issue for this guy. Video is before and after. The tick sounds exactly the same as my truck to me but the dealer wouldn't even listen or watch the video. do i get the dealer to fix my issue? What do you think the issue is or what is your opinion after listening to the engine noise?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

My guess is they should not have sold you a Ford warranty knowing the vehicle needed engine repairs and or there techs are not good enough and confident enough in themselves to fix the noise. Sometimes the engine has to be replaced. After listening to the noise I do not believe its the valve train lash adjusters. This sounds like cam phasers and chain guides and chain tensioners worn out. Normally they wear out from incorrect oil used, poor filters used, running the oil change intervals to high. My recommendation is to see if another dealer is willing to work with you and if not then contact not only Ford customer service but also the warranty company.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are telling me this noise is normal and trying to send me on my way. They gave me a 3 month 4k mile powertrain warranty with the purchase of the truck. I then bought a Ford ESP Powertrain 5 year 60k warranty from them. They said the warranty isn't valid for 30 days but what I read says it's valid at the time of signature. I think they want me to wait 30 days so that they can say the problem occurred within that 30 day period.I need this fixed and I'm just waiting for them to screw me over on my warranty, which will be very bad for me. The warranty company is Ford.

If this dealer fixes it, they will be in hot water for addressing a known issue that was there prior to selling. Then selling you a warranty to cover it. All of which Ford frowns on. The warranty is available the day you sign up for it. My recommendation is to see if another dealer is willing to work with you and if not then contact not only Ford customer service but also the warranty company.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
According to them the truck is fine. The service manager, his right hand man and the Sales Manager all say this tick is normal and they try to send me on my way. I have written an email to the General Manager and am waiting a response. I am now afraid they are going to bock on the warranty they sold me and find a way to invalidate it at the dealer now. I have a copy of the signed warranty.

It is not a normal noise and this dealer is not going to help you. They are doing things wrong. You do not sale a broken vehicle used and sale a Ford warranty with it so you can make money again doing the warranty repair. They should of never sold the vehicle like this or they not have sold you a Ford warranty. Talking with them is likely going to get you no where. You need to go to another dealer or to Ford.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris