Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 f150 beeping sound when I start to drive about 5 beeps

Customer Question

2003 f150 beeping sound when I start to drive about 5 beeps than goes away, then 5 more did it about 4 or five times this morning on my drive. didn't do anything the last 5 minutes of drive.
When i turned the key to shut the engine off the electrical(radio and blower) stayed on, i turn key to turn engine back on and turned key and it went off.
Yesterday the 4x4 light was going on and off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The 5 beeps you are hearing usually indicates a problem with the Air bag system, take a look at the air bag light in the dash and see if it comes on with the key on and see if it goes out while cranking. Check this and let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn't notice anything different when i started this morning, I'm teaching right now and can't check.
l
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know that it did not stay on, and nothing came on while the beeps were occurring
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

No problem, when you get a chance have a look at the air bag light and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I started and drove it over to the other school, no beep, but also no light. When I went to turn it off, the blower and radio stayed on, until I turned the key back on and off.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

You may have two issues but the radio and blower staying on is a known concern, let me ask you this has the truck been out in some rain?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Rain and wind the last two days.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Okay then both problems may very well be related. There is a very common cause for the radio and blower motor staying on and in most cases its caused by a water leak at the top of the windshield on the left side which allows a small water leak to run down the left windshield post and drip on the GEM module which mounts to the top side of the interior fuse panel and when this happens it cause internal shorting in the GEM/Fuse panel. The fix is to have the windshield resealed and in some cases that will allow the GEM/fuse panel to dry out and solve the problem. In some rare cases you have to replace the GEM/fuse panel due to corrosion build up. If the problem has just started then that may not be the case and resealing the windshield would be the first thing you need to do. Once things have had time to dry out you should be fine.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would then moisture be visible in the fuse panel?
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Yes usually, you may have to remove it and the GEM to check for any signs of corrosion as well. Its a very well documented problem on the 2003 as well.