Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

My 2002 ford f350 is not showing any boost on the gauge

Customer Question

My 2002 ford f350 is not showing any boost on the gauge until i let off the throttle and push the clutch peddle, then it jumps to 5 psi and then falls right back down to zero. I can also hear a pronounces hiss when I am accelerating. Sounds like an air leak, maybe from the turbo. Even before this problem, I never saw more than 10 psi on the gauge.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet, just internet searches on possible waste gate or exhaust back pressure valve issues.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: It has a small oil leak from the turbo pedestal, but it is verly little volume.
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like the exhaust is plugged, that or the EBP actuator has come off and the EBP valve is stuck shut, a scan tool to monitor Exhaust Back Pressure(EBP) will prove this out. To check the EBP valve, look under the turbo, you will see a rod and arm that is attached to it, the rod should be in the hole in the arm.