Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter

I have a 2004 f150 with 5.4 engine and the motor runs

Customer Question

I have a 2004 f150 with 5.4 engine and the motor runs sluggish as if I was pulling a load. What can I do to resolve this issue?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I bought this truck new and it has a 3.73 rear end in it with the 5.4 engine. The truck feels as if the timing is retard. When I mash on the accelerator the truck has problem picking up.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I installed a cool air intake hoping it would help but if didn't.
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,