Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

No start on 95 powerstroke, Engine turns over. No smoke.

Customer Question

No start on 95 powerstroke
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engine turns over. No smoke. Hpop is full. Voltage to ipr is 12v. no voltage to cps or icp. no blown fuses
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Check fuse 30 and 22 to see if they are blown. They can vause PCM to shut down and not allow a power up to give power to those circuits.

Does check engine light come on when key is turned on? If not, there could be a PCM issue as well.

Most times when there is no power to those circuits, one of those 2 fuses are blown, harness is damaged, or PCM is failed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have checked all fuses non are blown. Have a wts light but does not go off. Have pulled the pcm connector and has power at two red wire pins going to pcm. Can find no harness damage. Only get check engine light if glow plug relay is fully connected.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Forgot to add. A snap on modus nor a snap on mt2500 will communicate with vehicle
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Was the glow plug relay tested to make sure it is working? With the wait to stsrt light not going off, the timer in the relay is malfunctioning which is an indicator of a bad relay, grounds or glow plugs, or timer. It's also possible to have a bad coolant temp sensor causing the relay to stsy engaged as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Glow plug relay works properly. The pcm should be the timer. I disconnected it so no to burn up the glow plugs. Also have no tack movement while cranking but I'm guessing because there is no power to the cps
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Do you have power going out of the PCM? If so, you have a bad harness. The ICP and CPS run together on the harness.

What is odd is when the PCM doesn't read those sensors, it will "default" and operate as if the signals are there, but usually after the wngine is running. Don't ether it though... Gas ragging is even taking a chance on that engine especially with how the intake is setup.

I would check for power going to the ICP from the PCM and tey to narrow to a harness. I'm presuming you have no signal power of vRef power on either of the power pins? Does the IPR have power?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

I just read that you are getting no communication with vehicle. That ooens up a whole different cannof worms. You have power to PCM, for certain? Good grounds? There may be a PCM issue going on that needs to be narrowed down.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ipr has a full 12v. I haven't checked for power out of the pcm yet because I need to find a pin out diagram. I suppose I could disconnect the plug on the drivers side inner fender and start probing connectors
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm fairly certain power is going to the pcm just not sure about power out. Yes checked all grounds.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

IPR is geound controlled, but gets power from PCM. I asked on ot specifically to confirm power to PCM.

Can I get VIN so I can see if Ford still has the PCM pinout? I'll pull it off the site.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just a second
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Let me go digging.

I'll have to look connector by connector on there. They did better identifying the info on the newer vehicles. The older ones they weren't so clear.

I'll be back.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've got to head to bed. day starts early. thanks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

I don't want you to think I've ignored you or anything. I;ve been getting the server error message since last night. My whole shop can't get onto Ford and we learned the whole area is in the same boat right now. I'm just waiting for it to come up. They went down to do a midnight update and something had broken in the process.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, will wait
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

We are limping, but we have the tech side back up now. The pay side is still down and that is nation wide. Ugh...

Here is the pinout diagram for the engine. This is all the Ford shows for it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That will help
Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

Check the power in and out to see what you have.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 7 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?