Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Not getting power to the pasenger side winodow switch, my

Customer Question

not getting power to the pasenger side winodow switch
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my front pasenger side window will not go up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: took off door panel and checked to see if the switch is getting power and it is not. Checked fusses all good checked inside boot for broken wire everything looks good. don't know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: can't think of anything
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you fro your question,

What year make and model are you working on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1997 ford explorer
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay thank you for that,

When you check the door jam wires did you check both doors?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No.I didnt
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what do I check and what am I checking for?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The more common cause for the power window on the passenger side to fail is usually a broken wire in the driver door jam harness which affect the master switch and the RH window. You can check this with the steps I have enclosed below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them. Its an easy test to run and while your doing it, pull the boot back on the driver door and inspect the harness there as well. Check this and post back if need be and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Pwer%20window%20Mar%2016.pdf

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Broken wiring is more common in the drivers door because it usually see the most action. Have look.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did not work. Jumped tan/bl wire from main switch to tan/bl wire on pasenger side switch still nothing.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay the indicates you have an open in the harness from the master switch to the RH door. Did you check the drivers door jam harness?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
everything looks good.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay but if you can not jump the circuit at the master switch then that means you have an open. Go back in a take a second look on both sides .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok checked continuity from the master switch to the the harness good. Checked continuity from harness drivers side to RH door switch good. Don't know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Which wire is the 12V wire that feeds the passenger door switch?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The power to the RH side switch comes from the Master switch and the master switch power wire is the Lite blue /black wire. Both switch have there own ground which is the black wire. See the wiring in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20windows%20Mar%2016.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ron I have tried everything you have suggested and it is still not working. I am just going to take it to a mechanic.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay if you not able to trace the circuit then that may be you best step. Thank you and Im sorry you where not able to nail it down.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As I said yesturday I am just going to take the vehicle to a mechanic.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay. Thank you just the same.