Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Gas gauge tracks from full down to half full then starts

Customer Question

Gas gauge tracks from full down to half full then starts returning back to full. Never registers empty even when I ran out of gas.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is a common fault and what occurs here usually and causes this is a fault with the fuel level sender itself in the fuel tank.I have had to replace this several times before for this issue here.The small metal fingers that read across the sender electronics card in the fuel tank on the fuel pump start to bend and break off and cause this here.This can be replaced separate from the fuel pump itself and runs around $150 for the sender and 1.6 hours labor to have replaced.Below is a picture of this sender assembly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete