James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

My 2001 ford f350 7.3 diesel, ran fine hour on the

Customer Question

my 2001 ford f350 7.3 diesel, ran fine for an hour on the interstate and then when idling during a stop started to run rougher and rougher until I shut it off. Now it will not restart, lots of white smoke and will almost run but not stay running. Oil level was slightly below low mark on stick, oil in the hpop was about 2" down, I have topped off the oil and filled the hpop. still lots of white smoke but no start. It is very warm here 60F +
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.

Hello, do you have a scan tool that can monitor data?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, although my friend will be bringing me one in a few days (snapon solas i think), unless I can buy an inexpensive one online that hooks to my laptop, suggestions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am wondering if the hpop is gone and I think the scan tool will give me hpop pressure? Still the lots white smoke seems to indicate at least some
injectors are firing
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.

A snap on solus will be very helpful. A scan tool will allow you to see the icp pressure. The engine needs 500icp pressure in order to fire the injectors. If you had a manual gauge for hydraulics you to test high pressure oil as well. You can also open the fuel drain and see if diesel drains on the ground.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do have access to a high pressure manual gauge, where would I screw it in?
I did open the fuel drain and cycles the pump and got a strong stream. I also replaced the fuel filter and added 5 gallons of fuel to take level above the pick up (it was at 1/8 tank). The new filter seemed to help but not enough to make it start so I am thinking it was coincidence.
I wonder if I have air the system that needs to be purged?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just to clarify I put in the filter after I was having problems
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.

This fuel system should purge itself after cycling the keys a couple times. The icp sensor is on the driver cylinder head in the front. If you remove the icp and plug in the tester you will want a gauge that goes to about 2000psi

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will try to get a guage hooked up in the morning, am I looking for 500 psi min?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.

Correct, if you build above 500psi then the oil system isn't going to be the problem.