A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have an o4 Explorer that stalls when coming to a stop. If

Customer Question

I have an o4 Explorer that stalls when coming to a stop.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If I st
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 months ago.

Can you keep it running if you keep you foot on the gas pedal?
What engine does your 2004 Explorer have?
What have you done to try to fix this problem?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
4.6L SOHC. Nothing so far.
It will idle fine when I am not moving but If I rev engine and take foot off the gas the idle will drop to 350 - 400 RPM run rough maybe 10 seconds then reset itself to stock idle/625 RPM. I did change the oil approximately 30m or so before idle problem. In the past I have experienced problems with foot pedal being extremely touchy
from standing start ie: vehicle will jump forward instead of smoothly picking up speed. I do need to change plugs - engine has 100,000miles.

Try this first before replacing any parts. Remove the throttle body and use throttle body cleaner or something similar and then reinstall it. Then disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and then reconnect it. Then drive the vehicle and see if the idle concern returns. The throttle body is electronic with no throttle cable, and over time, deposits build up in the throttle body and cause it to stick and stop air flow into the engine at times.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I will give this a try. It may take me a couple days to accomplish the task, my L hip was replaced 10 weeks ago and will have to space out the time I work on it.
Thank You,
I will let you now the results asap,
Mark M

No problem. just reply back when you can.