Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

I have a 06 ford ranger I recently changed the thermostat

Customer Question

I have a 06 ford ranger I recently changed the thermostat housing the new one came with a new thermostat Now my check engine light comes on. The code says low temperature the needle on my temp gauge on comes up about quarter the way it used to come up halfway I don't know what to do
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

May I have the engine size of your Ranger? And the actual "p-code" associated with the low-temp description?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
4.0 v6 don't know the p Code
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I contact u later with it or will I have to pay again
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

Not a problem if you don't have the p-code. Let me give you some insight now, and if we can't solve the problem here... then we can get the p-code.

If the housing came with a new thermostat, I will assume it is the correct one and installed correctly. So, the problem here may lie in the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) Sensor. It may have been damaged in the housing replacement. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, I would recommend replacing the sensor. For an image location view of the ECT, click here:

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry... you're reply did not come through. Please re-type and resend your reply.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are two sensors standing in front of the truck it's the one on the right and this can't be a air pocket problem
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

Correct. The one on the right- as shown in the image I sent. Click the link to see the image.

This system is pretty much a self-bleeding system, so air pocket shouldn't be the issue. There is a basic bleed procedure to try though:

• Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air from the A/C vents in the instrument panel.
  • Start the engine and allow it to idle. While the engine is idling, feel for hot air from the A/C vents.
  • Start the engine and allow it to idle until the normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from the A/C vents.