AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Have 2000 ford focus, installed new brake shoes, now park

Customer Question

Have 2000 ford focus, installed new brake shoes, now park brake will not hold. Cable not frozen, made adjustment from inside car ( nut next to leaver) still no results. Put car in drive..car takes off. I think it is something with the auto adjuster . Any suggestions would be great.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Did you adjust the shoes with the auto adjuster before installing the drum and the wheel? Do you need the instructions that shows that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made some adjustment so I could get the drum on. Yes, send the instructions.

OK, so you adjusted the shoes in to get the drum on?

when you install the drum you should hear it drag very slightly on the shoes when you spin it. If not, adjust the shoes out a little at a time until you can. I am attaching the procedure in PDF.

FORD FOCUS BRAKE SHOE REPLACEMENT

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't open your response. Question - inside the drum, the lever the brake cable attaches t,o shou that lever be all the way back and rest upon the littel button like device in the bottom of housing? if so, this would give the cabe more traveling/pulling distance therby apllying more stoping power to the brakes.

the parking brake cable and lever should offer no stopping power (except in an emergency). Properly adjusted it may not necessarily be all the way against the stop. The brake shoe adjustment is done with the auto adjuster behind the drum. The parking brake adjustment is done at the lever. That attachment should help you quite a bit. What happens when you try to open the attachment? It just opened for me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
try sending to my phone(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The brake shoe adjustment is done with the auto adjuster behind the drum....are you saying this is done with the wheel on?

Try this link. I'm not sure what's wrong as I have never had issues with dropbox in the past. The brake shoe adjustment is often times adjustable with the wheel on, but in your case I believe you will have to have the wheel and drum removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the Company computer is blocking whatever you are sending....I wll try adjusting with the wheel on until I feel a slight drag

You probably won't have access to the auto adjuster with the wheel on. You will likely have to remove the drum adjust it out a little and reinstall the drum, etc until you get the desired effect. The adjuster is a triangular shaped piece with teeth on it. You will notice as you rotate it one way, it will increase the width of the shoes, and the other way will decrease the width. I will be away from my computer for a while as I am about to leave work, but I will check back in a little bit to see how it's going.

How did it go?