Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2000 ford expedition. break/turn signals not working.

Customer Question

2000 ford expedition. break/turn signals not working. changed bulb, put in new flash relay
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Rear brake lights and turn signals not working. that's all i got:-)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yep
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced bulb, replaced flash relay
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: relay was going bad
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here's a consolidated summary of the issue:
Auto: 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
Issue: Rear brake/signal lights not working
Steps taken: replaced one of the bulbs, changed the flash relay (the relay was going bad so it needed to be changed). The rear lights were not working when the relay was failing either.
Next steps: I'm looking up the fuse box layout to see if a fuse is blown. I read that there may be a wire short inside the steering column sometimes caused by the use of the tilt-wheel feature in the Expedition. I'm unsure which wire harness it may be.Thanks for any help!paul
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Does the high mount brake light work? Sometimes called the third brake light?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It works. I also ran a test by moving the tilt shift down. When down, the hazard only flashes on the right side front. When up, it flashes on both sides front. So there appears to be a short by the steering column
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

If the hazard light operation is normal, access the multi-function switch connection and verify that the Light Green wire of the connection illuminates a test light when stepping on the brake pedal. If so, replace the mult-ifunction switch.

It could also be a short in the column if moving it makes them work, but that could also just be the contacts in the multi-function switch connect better in different positions.

Do you plan to repair it yourself?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. To be clear, the hazards work only in the front, so the back lights are always dark except the third brake light. I will test it and replace the multi function switch if the green wire is hot.
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Oh ok.

If there is no turn or hazard light operation at the rear of the vehicle though the lights work at the front of the vehicle, check for a lost ground at the Right Rear and Left Rear turn signal lamp assemblies and check the wiring harness for an issue of the circuits running between the bulb socket assemblies and the multi-function switch.

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

If it look like you will need to go after the multi-function switch, here is the procedure for replacing it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Super. Thanks!
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will do
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good.

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help.

Please don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer compensates us for our time.