A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Fuse f2-20 keeps popping everything we turn the key on,

Customer Question

Fuse f2-20 keeps popping everything we turn the key on, blinkers aren't working and abs light is on dash
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2004 ford ranger edge and evertime we turn the key on it blows the f2-20 fuse
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replacing the fuse, looked at wire connections in steering column,
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Blinkers aren't working and the abs light is on
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 8 months ago.

Does this Ranger have a manual transmission or automatic?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Automatic

Thank you. Several items are connected to fuse F2.20. Below is a diagram showing the items. The most common causes we have seen is the wiring for the transmission overdrive cancel switch on the steering column shifter shorting on the steering column from movement of the shifter through the gears and also the cruise control servo under the hood shorting out. Unplug the wiring connector for the OD switch and check to see if fuse F2.20 is still shorting out. Then unplug the cruise control server and retest. Unplug each component one at a time till the fuse shorts blowing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked both of those it is still blowing it

Then there is the transmission range sensor on the transmission and the ABS module. Also the brake shift interlock switch on the steering column that locks the shifter into park until the brake pedal is depressed.