James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2008 6.4 powerstroke. I just recently replaced the

Customer Question

Good afternoon sir. I have a 2008 6.4 powerstroke. I just recently replaced the hpfp cover gasket and wires last night. Got all said and don. Bled the fuel at the schrader valve until it was solid fuel and fired it up. Ran good. Test drove it checked for leaks then let it sit over night. This morning i fired it up and it ran good for about 2 seconds and then shut off like i had shit the key off. The wrench loght along woth the oil light came on. Would just crank but not start until i disconnect both batteries for a few seconds then would start and die again. I would take apart the batteries again and reconnect then fire it up and would run without a problem. Drove it a good 9-10 miles. Shit it off for about 30 min and tried to start it and same thing. Died like i shut the key off and wrench light and oil light on. Check engine light is not on. Only the wrench light and i cannot pull the code for the wrench light with my basic code reader. Please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a way to test low fuel pressure? Can you by chance borrow a different scan tool to use?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have a snap on modus computer. Bad thing is im out of town and the truck is back home. I am having a buddy who is also a fellow diese mech hook it up tonight while im gone. My though it that the fuel system is not properly bled. Because it will run fine and dandy when it runs but after a little bit of it sitting it will start then die after 2 seconds
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
P2291 icp pressure to low while cranking. Thats the code it sets
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

I would test low system fuel pressure. It's possible your low pressure pump is failing over time. The FRP sensor can also be faulty and cause this issue. I would try bleeding it from the return line which is the rear line without the shrader valve

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The guy just rebled the fuel system from the line that goes to the driverside head and from the rear line opposite of the shrader valve. Still nothing. Does the computer need to reset after that? Truck ran fine till the hpfp wore shorted out. Will run fine going down the road once you get it to run but after you shut it off and it sits for say 30min+ it starts then dies. Still think fuel needs to be bled? Or filters need to be checked to ensure proper installation of the bleeder hole of the filter?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

You shouldn't have to reset anything unless fuse 74 blew. It wouldn't run if this fuse was blown. With the rear line loose crank the engine over and will it start?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so what youre saying is to disconnect the rear line going to the driver head and then crank it over and see if it starts correct?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

That is what I would do while bleeding the system. I always start the engine with the line loose.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok i will have my guy do that tomorrow. Also does the 6.4 operate on a HPOP system? Or are the injectors fire by fuel pressure and electrical voltage only? I own a 6.0 and when i think of icp pressure being to low i imediatley go straight to checking the pressure at the icp sensor. Cannot locate a icp sensor on the 6.4. So thats where im having trouble. The original problem with the truck was the HPFP cover gasket wite loom shorting out and blowing the fuse. Changed it out ran fine. But if you let it sit turned off for a little while it will start then imediatley die then only crank and no start until you disconnect the batteries, let them sit for a few seconds then reconnect them and start it up again. But only then do you get lucky if it doesnt die out right away. Not like its running out of fuel but as if i turned the key off. Then crank no start again
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

The 6.4L is common rail. The injectors are fired by hi pressure fuel. They need 5000psi in order to fire the injectors. When the engine was newer it was common for the HPFP connectors to not fully seat and come loose again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah this motor and truck only has 36k miles on it. The kit from ford included big blue zip toes to put around the plugs on the fuel pump but we tugged on the connectors and they didnt come out so we didnt even bother with the zip ties... Probably should have... If either of those were unplugged though i would think unhooking the batteries and then hooking them back in would still not allow it to start being unplugged. Buy if you disconnect the batteries it starts fine without dieing 90% of the time. And will run a drive perfect with no lack of power...
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Disconnecting the battery and you don't have to reveled the system?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im not sure on what you just said. But i try to start it it starts and then dies after running for 2 seconds it does a crank no start. We disconnect the batteries for 10 seconds. Reconnect the batteries. Then try to start it 9/10 times it will stay running and you can drive it and have full power and everything. But then you shut it off and try to start it again less than a half hour later and it will start, run for 2 seconds, then die as if i shut the key off not as if it ran out of fuel.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

That almost sounds like a low fuel pump issue. It also could mean there is an issue with the FRP sensor. If you have a scan tool that can reset the high pressure fuel system you can see if it helps.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We are going to change the fuel filters tomorrow and re bleed the system and start again from there. What is the "FRP sensor"? Im guessing the fuel rail pressure sensor and my guy said something about checking the voltage there earlier and it being at like .5 volt or something like that. Do you think the HPFP wire shorting out could cause the low pressure pump to go bad?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

The shorting wire harness shouldn't be able to ruin a low pressure pump. The fuel pressure sensor you are correct. It should read .49-.50 with KOEO.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so then the voltage is correct on the low pressure pump. Then im hoping that the filters just need to be changed and the system needs a good purge... If that does not work should i be concerned with maybe the FRP SENSOR is going bad. Also keep in mind i dont think any of the sensors should be going bad because the truck only has 36k miles. Still doesnt mean a sensor cant go bad at the early of a stage but still possible. Thank you for all of your help. I will ler you know tomorrow how the fuel filters and purge goes. And if theres any improvement. Really dont feel like digging into the motor again to check thos connections haha
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

I don't blame you. I hate having to take this engine back apart after doing a lot of work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah its a major pain in the ass. I believe it is just a fuel prining issue. We will find out though
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good.