Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2012 Ford Taurus sho and up until today the engine

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Ford Taurus sho and up until today the engine hummed. Today the engine seemed labored and load from inside the car. It still handled fine, but the load engine noise has me concerned.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The engine just seems very loud upon start and exceleration but fine at normal run speed.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, but I don't mind bringing to a dealer either, I just don't know if I have something simple or not.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Other than inspecting under the car such as exhaust I haven't attempts anything
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Up until today it ran very smooth. I did get the car washed with under carriage just an hour before, but I have done this numerous times before.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. While running if you tug, push pull on the exhaust tip(s) does this effect the noise?
  2. Can you give me an example of how the engine sounds loud like a sound I can imagine?
  3. When it seems labored is this only on take off or up through each gear as well?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Prior to today when the car started or went into drive and excellorated, it would be a smooth hum. Today it sounds like a loud rumble when in the car on both start and excellorating. When listening outside the car it seems fine. The noise in the cab makes it hard to hear the person next to you until you are at crushing speed.It is on take off and thru the gears. The gear shifting seems rough as well.

No warning lights on?

While running if you tug, push pull on the exhaust tip(s) does this effect the noise?

How many miles has it been driven since the car wash and has it gotten any better or worse?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No warning lights and tugging doesn't seem to make a difference. I washed it, ran a couple miles and parked it for about two hours. Ran it again for a couple miles, had the tires rotated at a shop (40 minutes) and noticed immediately on start the engine was rough/loud when they were finished.

Thanks for the extra details. Can you get the vehicle back up on a lift to look at the exhaust, mainly the converters. There lift may have smashed one causing a exhaust restriction or the cold water sprayed on it could of broken the catalyst in the converter and it has now clogged up the converter. That would be the first place I would check based on the info given so far.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.