James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

2002 f250 7.3 dead unplug one injector on that side and the

Customer Question

2002 f250 7.3 dead unplug one injector on that side and the other three start working it does not matter which of the 4 i disconnect the other three fire until i plug the disconnected one back in then all 4 go dead. replace
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: replaced valve cover and wiring 3 times no difference replaced icm also two different ones
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is the drivers side bank that is not working
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Hello, do you have the valve cover off then?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is the number to text. Brady is his name (my son n law) i will let him know to expect your texts also. he is with the truck now Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is 26 the total charge for the service
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello!!
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

In order for me to call or text I have to send an additional service. It is the policy or I can get in trouble. If it's easier we can just chat on here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any suggestions
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

I would begin by using an ohm meter and test how many ohms each injector is. They should each be around 2.8ohms. Is the valve cover gasket from Ford or is it a molded one piece from dorman?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. I will test them in the am. I will get back with you
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
R u around now
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Molded one piece from napa. All injectors are new. (Doesn't meen good ) cut a connector off old harness and plugged it into each injector. Readings. 3.5. 3.2. 3.2. 2.8 ohms
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Hmm is the molded one piece gasket new?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Changed it with another new one to make sure
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

When replacing it did it make a difference? The one piece gaskets aren't made very well and I have seen many failures. I won't even use them.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No difference. Ok, we have installed all new injectors, new harness (2 times ) new value covers with new wires (2 times ) the problem is on the drivers side. When it is running and everything is hooked up the entire drivers side bank is dead (injectors no oil ) if we unplug ANY OF THE INJECTORS on tje drivers side the others will work. When we plug the injector back in the entire band shuts down.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
R u going to be able to help?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

I am. Do you have a scan tool that can perform injector buzz test?

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

The very center wire which supplies the voltage to all injectors sounds like it has enough power to run three injectors but not all 4. I would run a jumper wire from the injector connector to the IDM and see if the vehicle will run all 4 injectors. If it does you need to find where the excessive resistance is inside the wire. If it still doesn't run correctly it's likely the IDM has an internal issue.