Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

This one has us pulling our hair out. 1998 Escort 2.0 SOHC

Customer Question

Hi. This one has us pulling our hair out. 1998 Escort 2.0 SOHC that runs great until it get's hot enough to go into closed loop. Then it Idles very slow, Oil Pressure light may flash, Engine will stall when in gear and will not want to re start. Let it cool off and it will do the same thing again.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Oh yes. ASE Certified Mechanic myself. Let me tell you what we have done already or recently with this car.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far we have replaced the IAC. Checked the Timing Belt again, The car has had the EGR Valve, Solenoid and Sensor replaced in the last 6 months as well as the Harmonic Balancer and the crank sensor.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Not really, I know there are no vacuum leaks, The oil Pressure is good when cold anyway. There are NO codes pulling up at all so I am leaning to an ECM heating up and failing when the unit tries to go closed loop. This started all at one time a while back.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The fact that you are not getting any fault codes and it runs okay while its cold I would suspect you are correct and the problem is with a failing PCM (computer) . I would also check a few more things and that would be the fuel pressure when it will not start as well as check and see if you have spark to the spark plugs and injector pulse. If you have good fuel pressure as well as good spark and you find no injector pulse then its safe to say the computer is at fault. Check this and let me know and we can work from there if need be.