Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have 2001 ford tarus ses. 100,000 miles approx. engine

Customer Question

I have 2001 ford tarus ses. 100,000 miles approx. engine light Weston reading said 02 sensor so had it replaced. Light came on again next day reading said 02 sensor so I had other 3 replaced. Light came on the next day mechanic says computer will recognize new parts and go off itself after I drive it about 50 or60 miles. Is this true
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

It is true that the light will clear itself after a "drive cycle" which is roughly 50-75 miles of combined city and highway driving. HOWEVER, is the oxygen sensors were not the problem, then the light will not clear. If the light was cleared after the repair, and then returned... more than likely the problem is not oxygen sensors. There are many Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") that will "say" Oxygen Sensor as a possible cause, but there is an underlying problem (or the p-code was misinterpreted and wrongly diagnosed via the p-code). So, at this point, best bet would be to have those P-Codes scanned from the on-board computer. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Once you have these p-codes, we can more accurately determine where the root of the problem is. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..