Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Moose, not sure if you can help me with this one but maybe

Customer Question

Hey Moose, not sure if you can help me with this one but maybe you could recommend a tech that can if you're not familiar. I have a friend I'm trying to assist he has a 2004 Hyundai Santa fe 4wd 3.5L, 175k miles. He has told me that the transmission is slipping and has a knock. I haven't looked at it yet but intend to shortly. Oil level is proper and not burnt, although he stated that there is a pretty good amount of metal shavings on the drain plug when he pulled it out. I'm not going to assume wear and tear yet but with the oil being at such a good red color it's hard not to. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

is the knocking from the transmission or the engine itself ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You only here it when it's in gear and attempting to move. I am going to put my hands on it today. I'll know more specifics
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

ok

from the sounds of this something physically hard has failed inside that transmission like usually the final drive ( spider gears ) OR one of the axles is broken or stripped out splines on the axles where they connect into the transmission ( final drive area )

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer