Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

The heater stopped working. worked fine last night and this

Customer Question

the heater stopped working. worked fine last night and this morning nothing happens when it is turned on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the heater motor does not turn on, on any setting, even the a/c does not come on. I have replaced the heater motor resistor and still nothing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: 1998 ford expedition
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $23 after the Ford Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a test light to check for power? Are you going to fix yourself?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Scott
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to be able to fix it myself depends on how difficult I suppose
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was not having any prior problems with the heater was not making any noises or has never not worked before this have change the blower motor resistor still not working and who pulled all the little fuses and check them to see if one was blown don't see any blown under the dash and in the hood
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, test for power at he blower motor, see if there is 12 volts here with the key and blower on. Here is a wiring diagram to follow along.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

There is a blower relay under the dash looks to be left center area above the accel pedal area. See if this relay clicks, it should click when selctor is turned from off to floor or vent or defrost.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I only hear it clicking when going from the off position to the panel slash floor position none of the other positions to
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, as long as it clicking we know the relay is being controlled by the switch, now see if there is power at the blower motor with set in panel with key on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry can't seem to find my test light and going to need to go out and get another one
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, just reply to this question and the system will let me know when you replied, I am normally online after 6pm central.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay thank you Scott I appreciate it
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Not a problem, thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Scott got the test light when I unplug the wire from the fan motor with the switch in the panel position I got one side of the plug to light up, would that imply that the fan motor itself is bad then
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would I be able to test the fan by unplugging the connector and grabbing another battery and running jumper wires from the negative and positive terminal and touch it to the fan terminals that way it should bypass all the switches and if the fans good would run yes or no
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Yes you can test the blower with separate wires and another power source, if it doesn't run replace the blower motor.