Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

98 f 150 4.6 Truck running fine set days won't start if does

Customer Question

98 f 150 4.6 Truck running fine set for two days won't start if does has a miss dies in a couple minutes won't restart. Fuel pump is working changed coils 258,000 miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Have you checked the codes yet by chance? Also, if you unplug the mass air flow sensor, will it idle then? Let us know, thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry Eddie don't know where mass air flow sencor is no codes
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, no problem, Will it crank and run now? or does it just crank and does not start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Started 10 min ago has a miss ran 1 min won't start
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, Sounds like the fuel pressure is low, or the coil pack on the plugs are misfiring. Do you have access to a scanner now? and can you check them now? Should set some kind of code if it quits running.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No Eddie no codes I know it's hard to determine but fuel pump pumping coils changed
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, no problem, Does it always start back up after it shuts off? and then runs a min and dies?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
After it sets for awhile
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

ok, the mass air flow sensor is located in the fresh air pipe near the air filter, can you unplug it, and let it idle, tell me if it cuts off then? Unplug the connector off the sensor, and make sure the plug isn't near the belt or fan. and start it and see if it dies then.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Upluged started it still running plug it in dosent change anything
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Didn't die with it unplugged though? like usual? ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Eddie it's didn't die still running it's plugged back in
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

So did that make a difference in your opinion ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No Eddie didn't change a bit still running but has a miss
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

OK, Did you replace all the spark plugs too?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No Eddie could it be the ECM?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Eddie it just died
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, It could be the ECM, ECM provides fuel injector pulse, and spark. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on it now by chance?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I don't have a pressure gauge
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, So we don't know that fuel pressure is good when it shuts off then. I can guess Steve, but you really need diagnostic equipment to narrow this one down sir.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from local auto parts store. I would borrow a spark tester as well, and a code reader. Gotta get some diagnostic equipment on it to narrow it down.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Different expert here.

I noticed you said you plugged the mass air sensor back in. Can you leave it unplugged and just wait and see if the engine stalls?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Eddie fuel pump changed coils changed won't start. Spark seems to be intermediate codes came up p0500 and b1352

The previous expert opted out and I'm afraid I can't work with you either. I'll opt out as well so others may try. Do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle your request back to me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never mind