Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2003 Ford Escape XLT V6 that will crank but won't

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Escape XLT V6 that will crank but won't start. I also noticed that the THEFT light on the dash is on or blinking. Before i go through the steps of checking the fuel pump and spark plugs, is it possible that the chip in the key is no longer programmed? The car has been sitting idle for over a year and I am in the process of buying it from my neighbor. Unfortunately he only has one key.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Hello, does the theft light blink rapidly?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

So when you turn the key to the on position the light comes on for three seconds and goes out?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not at the vehicle right now, but from what i remember the light comes one then blinks every once in a while. It definitely does not blink rapidly though. I can give you a better description of the blinking when i return to my garage if that helps. But I am wondering if it is possible for a Ford tech or a locksmith to tell if the key is still programmed properly, without having the vehicle present.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, my next step in the troubleshooting process (if we determine the key is not the problem) is to use some starting fluid to help the engine turn over. Does that sound like a good idea?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

If the key wasn't working correctly that is when the theft light will flash fast when you turn the key to the on position.