Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

When I put on D or R, there is some squeaky noise when the

Customer Question

When I put on D or R, there is some squeaky noise when the car is not moving. Once the car moves, the noise is gone. Also, when the speed is around 60 to 70 mph, there is a clunky noise coming from under the car once I let go the gas. Then I step on the gas pedal again, I can feel and hear the same clunky noise once again. This noise only happen in this particular scenario. I feel like it has something to do with either the rear end or the drive shaft.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

It does sound like a problem with the U-Joints.

If you put the Parking brake on, wheels chocked and with the truck off, in Neutral. Go under the truck and turn the rear driveshaft back and forth to see if it has any play in the U-joints. If so replace all the U-joints when you have the driveshaft out.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the u joint soon. However I cannot start my car today. The theft light is on and when I turn the key, everything dies no power. The engine does not crank at all. I disconnect the battery then reconnect it again, the power comes back on and everything is working(headlight, radio, AC etc...). But when I try to start the car, same thing happens. Then I have to reconnect the battery again. I was driving this car an hours ago before this issue comes up. The Key i use is the original ford key with the chip in. THe battery is also new without issue. So i'm sure the issue is not the key or the battery. Please help....
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did you try hooking up jumper cables, even though the battery is new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but no luck...
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

It seems the tech which was helping is not coming back online since they have been offline now 35 hours a and you have been waiting 32 hours now.

The 60-70 clunk so far I believe you have a rear driveshaft U-joint that is sloppy or hard to bend, those need to be checked with the driveshaft OFF the vehicle.

For the no start, with the key on, is the theft light flashing rapid, if not then the theft system is working correct. Can you check the battery voltage on the posts and cables, a good battery will have 12.6 volts and with a load like the headlights on about 12.3 volts.

For the squeak in D and R not moving can you get the vehicle on a rack to listen for a loose trans filter rubbing the pan, a cracked flexplate or internal torque converter, a exhaust heat shield issue, a engine or trans mount issue allowing to much flex.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the starting problem still remains . The car didn't start this morning again . I check the battery the batteries good but when I turn the key all I hear is a click . Then everything is gone on the dashboard. No lights no indicators nothing. After couple seconds everything comes back again. But the car still wouldn't start. I believe I Rulau the issue of the battery the anti-thief system. Please help

Can you report back on the no start questions I asked on the 11th?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replied you on 14th with updates. You did not follow up since then.

This was the last response on the 14th from me.

14 Mar 2016, 9:57 PM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replied you on 14th with the following "Unfortunately the starting problem still remains . The car didn't start this morning again . I check the battery the batteries good but when I turn the key all I hear is a click . Then everything is gone on the dashboard. No lights no indicators nothing. After couple seconds everything comes back again. But the car still wouldn't start. I believe I Rulau the issue of the battery the anti-thief system. Please help". Is there some misunderstanding?

Apparently you did not see where I responded after you on the 14th asking for you to report back on the no start questions I asked. Can you do these tests for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did the test and the voltage is 12.65 in fact I remove the battery and fully charge it overnight with computer controlled charger. But the car still have the starting issue. Sometimes all I hear is a click sometimes I can hear repicd clicks. Sounds like the starter is cranking but the engine does not start. I give it a little gas, it starts once. But most of time, all I hear is the click

Is the clicking coming from the starter motor or from the starter relay in the fuse box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one click is from the relay the rapid clicks is from the starter for sure.

At the starter motor while clicking there are 2 wires to it a large one and a skinny one. Can you monitor the voltage on each while trying to start. The large should always have battery voltage. The small one should have battery voltage when trying to start.