Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 97 crown vic I change the fuel pump n filter.. Idle

Customer Question

I have a 97 crown vic I change the fuel pump n filter.. Idle control valve..and the fuel pressure regulater.. And still the only Wat it start of I'm spraying starter fiuld then 73rd shuts off after I stop San kan b the problem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed fuel pump and filter..changed fuel pressure regulater.. And idle control vavle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Web
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: When putting left signal on the emergency comes on why
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. So when you quit spraying the starter fluid, the engine shuts off is that correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
correct
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What u need to do
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, Do you have a noid light by chance? I would like to check fuel injector pulse, the noid light will plug directly into the fuel injector harness in place of the injector, and when cranking should blink indicating fuel injector pulse.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

I want to check fuel pressure too, I know you changed the pump, but are you sure pump is running and it's getting power. should have 40 psi fuel pressure with key on in the fuel rail.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we checked Rhodes n yes the fuel pump is running
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, if the pump is running, you've probably got pressure then, Can you check and see if you have injector pulse when cranking? you'll need a noid light to do that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay it seen like the gas not getting they the lines
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Right, I don't think you have fuel injector pulse. You probably have pressure, but no injector pulse will not let fuel through the injectors.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

You can borrow a noid light kit from local auto parts store. If you wanna check for injector pulse, that is likely what the problem is if your spraying it and it's running,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is getting gas to the carburetor but not to the throttle body
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I did not have a noid light
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Is this a 97 Crown Vic? if so it does not have a carburetor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh I don't know what it's called but I'm not getting gas up there like when you on hit the acceleration and where is open at
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is not getting gas to the motor the fuel injectors good
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

I understand. There are total of 8 fuel injectors on your vehicle, 4 on each side of the engine, the wiring harness will have a RED wire and another color wire, pull that harness off the injector, install the noid light in place of the injector and spin the engine, see if the light blinks.

Injectors are here in this diagram.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

It may need a new PCM to fix injector pulse .

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Especially if it's original,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The injector pulse is working what next to try
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

If you have fuel pressure and injector pulse then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. Let me opt out in case another expert has something else they want to suggest. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a 1997 Crown Victoria with a 4.6 liter motor and this is not getting gas in a cracked but it was not getting gas when the start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

How did you confirm an injector pulse?

Simply opening or snapping open the throttle plate doesn't shoot gasoline into the intake manifold like on a carburetor. The throttle body only allows in air, it's the fuel injectors that spray in fuel and they need 12 volts to them and the computer has to ground the fuel injectors and then open the ground circuit, then open and close very very very very quickly in order to pulse the injectors and make them spray.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is it called it was not the carburetor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is not called a Carburetor thought about it what is it called
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Throttle body.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Or throttle body
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

How did you confirm an injector pulse?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Use the pressure meter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I change the fuel pressure regulator
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, checking the fuel pressure is ok, but that doesn't confirm an injector pulse. Like the previous expert said, you have to use a"noid light", place it in one of the injector harness plugs, then watch the noid light while cranking the engine over, it should flash.

You might want to check the fuses first, for the ecm/pcm and/or the fuel injectors. Make sure you test both sides of the fuse with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light while the key is on run and start, unless of course a quick look finds that the fuse is blown.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will it still crank up and then if that's the problem
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will it still crank if that's the problem
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Do you mean will it run on starting fluid? Crank has to do with the starter cranking over the engine.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Do a quick check and check these 2 fuses, the ECC fuse in the engine compartment fuse block and the fuse #7 in the I/P fuse box.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Here are the wiring diagrams for the engine,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

get it started yet?