Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

how hard is it to install a 4.0L in a 2010 ford ranger

how hard is it to install a 4.0L in a 2010 ford ranger with a 2.3L in it? does the wiring harness/computer need to be changed?

Hello, is another trans going in or just engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just checking my options 2.3l engine just seems a little small

sorry for the delay. I had to step out, I understand, 2.3 is a little small but still a pretty good engine, now to help answer? sure the trans will work with the 4.0, the 4.0 will mount in ok but the biggys? the entire engine harness would have to be changed, the PCM changed, the tCM changed, all vacuum harness changed, radiator may? have to be changed as well as the radiator shrouding and the list even grows, Really the only way to do this is to have a ford with 4.0 next to yours so you are able to interchange everything as needed to make the conversion, It just is not as simple as dropping in the 4.0, very little in the wiring harness will plug on, the computers are different so on and so on, Its a big undetraking as well as could wind up being rather expensive. This is the short most important list, There will be other hookup things you could run into, like mounts are different, well just a long list,Me? I would not want to undertake this job, it just is not simple