A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1999 ford expedition EB. The door locks are All

Customer Question

1999 ford expedition EB. The door locks are All popping--trying to lock or unlock when the engine is off and I push down on the driver side door lock button as I usually do to lock the truck when parking. When I try the keyless panel to open nothing happens and the key will also Not unlock the drive door. Thoughts??
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

Just so I completely understand your problem with the 1999 Expedition I need to ask a few questions.

Do the power door locks on any of the doors including the rear hatch work with the power door lock switches on the front door or the remote?
Does the keyless entry key pad light up when you press any of the buttons?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The keyless pad does now light up. All the locks unlocked just now with the remote. I relocked and there is no popping sounds lingering. It has done this in the past. Yesterday was very frustrating because I could not get the door locks to unlock to gain entry to the vehicle after manually locking when departing for the store.The remote would not work either. The key would not unlock the driver door either. Fortunately the rear gate was not locked so I could get into the vehicle and manually unlock the doors. I don't believe the individual door lock actuators are bad. I've read about a " lock relay block". Have no idea where it is even located..Thoughts

Have you had any rain in your area lately?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Of course, I'm in Atlanta it rains every 3-4 days. What is this lock relay switch and where is it located? Some made a comment that there might be 3 relay switches in a block under the hood. Thoughts

The relay block in under the dash on the passenger side. There is a access panel on top of the dash to access them. But if the key pad did not light up when the locks did not work, it is not a relay issue. You may want to have the dash fuse box and the GEM module mounted on the back side of it check for moisture and or corrosion in the bulk wire connectors on the dash fuse box. This body style which is shared with the F150 that it is prone to a water leak on the drivers side which allows water to lightly drip on the dash fuse box and cause electrical issues.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I'll check out the dash fuse box and GEM module for moisture and corrosion. Have a good evening

Please keep me informed.