James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 1998 expedition 5.4l drives forward ok although

Customer Question

i have a 1998 expedition 5.4l drives forward ok although hear some clunking sounds seemingly towards the front., When in reverse you have to gas it to get it to move which it will very reluctantly.
feels as if not all wheels are turning, chattering, like the brakes are on ? My wifes car, these symptoms appeared suddenly.
Nothing obvious underneath, there did seem to be a small leak , thin clear lubricant, hard to tell as its raining
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Hello, do you have a way to scan for codes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

Having to rev up the engine to engage reverse indicates there is a leak inside the transmission. By revving the engine you are increases transmission line pressure to engage the trans. It's possible the transmission can be going out and is causing your clunking noises as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
initially while backing out of drive way it felt as if i hadn't fully released park brake. I put it in neutral and coasted backwards a few feet, same symptoms things weren't extreme at that point drove approx. 7 mi. by the time i returned home i determined vehicle not safe.
In other words the symptoms got worse during a short drive. Normal power in forward gears but some clunking sounds.
Almost felt like loose steering?
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

If you have the vehicle idling in park rock the steering from side to side. Does it make a clunking noise?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry , I was gone s while.
I tried rocking the vehicle , no clunking sound.
Expert:  James replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like your concern is going to be internally inside the transmission.