Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Just installed new turn signal switch on my 1964

Customer Question

just installed new turn signal switch on my 1964 thunderbird\, all turn signals work except the left parking light indicator and hood indicator. the new switch is a 7 wire switch. i very slowly replaced wire for wire at connectors, any help would be great
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried switching the wires with little outcome, as i said turn siginals work in rear and on right side. one note the parking light alone seem alittle dim and if you look real close them seem to be blinking
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: also no brake lights sorry forgot that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $23 after the Ford Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Swap the bulb from right to left to rule out the bulb to begin with.
How many brake light bulbs are there and are they the same bulbs as tail/park lights and if so are they 2 filament?

Do you have a voltmeter? Do you have the wiring diagram?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all bulbs are good and all lights were working with old switch, i think its a wiring issue. i have the electrical assembly manual but,the wiring codes dont match.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i do have a volt meter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, so it's just the left front turn signal that don't work, or is dim and barely flashing?

Plus, the stop lamps don't work at all?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

using the voltmeter check how many volts are making it to them left front bulbs.

Check how much to the stop lamps, too. If exactly zero, check again exiting the stop lamp switch and check the fuse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Is this the 6.4L or 7.0L Engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its a 400m
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

So this is not the original engine?

I want to look up the correct wiring diagram, so I need to know what the original engine was or give me the vin.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Hold on, autozone says it only had the 6.4

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Next, is this a convertible or hardtop?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

here are the 2 wiring diagrams,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have no volts on left front socket with turn signal or parking light
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
car is a 2 doors hardtop
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Check for voltage exiting the light switch and the turn signal switch. Follow the color wires, they should be the green/white at the turn signal switch and the black/yellow at the light switch.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Also, I found the stoplamp switch. It's a green wire coming out going to the turn signal switch. test it for voltage with the brake pedal pressed down and key on run, engine off.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there doesnt seem to be any voltage on green wire to turn signal switch
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Check the fuse for the stoplamp.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all fuses are ok
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

You have a voltmeter, why aren't you actually testing both sides of the fuse for voltage so you know where to test next?

If there is actually no voltage to the fuse, that is a problem in between the fuse box and battery, including everything in between. If you simply looked to see if the fuse was blown or not, that isn't a good enough test when diagnosing problems, Simply looking at fuses is ok when you are on the road and have no voltmeter or test light.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sounds good,i'll do a voltage check on fuses
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Great, let me know when you have the results.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but I have to go out of town
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, well let me know when you get back. This post will close though 7 days after it was opened, so that's March 12, 1:07 PM.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

back yet?