Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

5R55S transmission flaring from 2nd to 3rd gear and OD light

Customer Question

5R55S transmission flaring from 2nd to 3rd gear and OD light flashing. Shifts from 1st to 2nd then starts flaring from 2nd to 3rd. When in drive it goes then slips while watching the tachometer. Also tried passing gear and it grabs then revs, then grabs and revs almost like the speed limiter kicking in and out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Generally what you are experiencing is caused by a mechanical failure of the transmission. What codes are you getting or do you know? I assume if youre replacing solenoids youre doing it because of a code.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Didn't get any codes. My check engine light isn't on and my scanner says no codes found. But this I think is just for engine codes. It is a ACTRON scanner for engine codes. I did much reading on the 5r55s for those problems and says for those problems may be servos, speed sensor, or solenoid block. Also just found out could be valve body or valve body gasket.

It definitely could be. Youre gonna need SOMETHING to go off of to make that determination. You could start by checking line pressures but I wouldnt. If you have an AAMCO transmissions in your area call and see if the do free code checks.. in my area they do. If so get it in and get the code checked and get a report and then turn them down when they try to sell you the transmission that they WILL say you need regardless and then let me know the code and I can tell you either what it is or what to check next.

If morals keep you from taking the free service and running then most local shops should pull your transmission codes for under 50 bucks. If the lights flashing there IS a code in there... how much information that will give you I cant be sure but it will at least let me know what to have you check.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. I will try tomorrow if they are open on Saturday.

Alright. Just reply when you get the codes. I will be here. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also forgot to tell you when you shift into reverse and back up it does but when you stop and try to back up some more it acts like neutral. And sometimes when you put it into drive it acts like neutral until you put in park then drive again its okay.

Well thats not great news. Reverse is not at all electrically controlled. For it to "drop out" of gear like that its gonna be something mechanical and most likely internal but I will reserve judgement until you get the codes. I dont want to deliver bad news if it could be something relatively minor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry for not getting back right away. I replaced that transmission with one from a friend. When the fluid is cold it runs fine until the fluid warms up then it flares between 2nd and 3rd, and the OD light flashes. I took it to transmission shop and they scanned a P0746 code. The info I got was solenoid A. But why does it work until the fluid gets warm? Doesn't that point to the servo?