Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Have a 2000 ford taurus i think it is a duratec engine.The

Customer Question

Have a 2000 ford taurus i think it is a duratec engine.The alternator is in back have to take passenger tire off to access.Have replaced alternator twice have good battery.Bought a ford megafuse checked 30amp fuse and 10amp fuse in driver compartment.Still not charging battery.The batt light does not come with ignition key in on position.Does the bulb not working cause the no charge issue?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just typed it above
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Vin # ***** guess...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $23 after the Ford Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

attached is a wiring diagram for you to view. there is a third fuse in the central junction box. did you check this fuse for power???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the red 10 amp fuse.
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

ok, and???? does it have power on both sides with the key on??? does the alt light come on at all???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I mentioned everything i did in the first post so u don't have to ask these questions.Read my first post so we can go from there thanks!
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

you said nothing of the third fuse at all.I need information and I need you to answer my questions to help. If you are not willing to answer, then I cannot help you. I am trying to see if you have voltage at that wire at the alternator with the key on. it is the light green/red wire

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im copying and paste from first post and i quote"Bought a ford megafuse checked 30amp fuse and 10amp fuse in driver compartment".
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

have a nice day

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
U need to retire Roy!
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

I can see your original question and roys valid follow up questions but what I dont see is if you have a volt meter to do any testing. If I missed it Im sorry and I will opt out. Is this an approved question? If you have a volt meter and my question is approved I will give you some testing instructions to figure it out.

To directly answer your question no.. If the charge indicator bulb is not working it will keep it from charging. If you ground the light green/red wire at the voltage regulator connection does your charging indicator light work then?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will try that and let u know,thanks for your response Wayne i feel like I'm getting my money worth now ūüėä

No problem. Let me know your results and we will move on. If you will do the required testing I can assure you we will come to a complete and accurate diagnoses. You just have to be patient with me and do what I need done.

I will be standing by awaiting your results whenever you get to it. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No sir no bat light on assuming I do this with key from off to on position.Test light bulb was lit indicating i was grounded also.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yo Wayne i found the culprit the pathetic so called mechanic did not verify the vin # ***** rather letter and bought wrong alt.So upon every bit of testing it kept pointing to alt.So i went behind his work went to AutoZone and discovered the culprit.So now i am installing correct part # ***** the lady is so very happy.Thanks for your time Wayne!