Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 85 f150 with a 5.0 the altornator was going bad I

Customer Question

I have a 85 f150 with a 5.0 the altornator was going bad I changed the altornator,starter silanoid,battery,voltage regulator and it still won't start and I have no lights? I checked the grounds all good what else am I missing why won't it start???
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Will it even crank? or it will crank and not start? is it automatic or manual trans? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Manual and no it won't crank at all
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, you have a 12 volt test light? or a volt meter by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, there at the starter solenoid you will see a RED/BLUE wire, can you tell me if you get power on this RED/BLUE wire when you turn the key to START position? Also, do you have to push the clutch in all the way on this truck? or has that been bypassed at some point , (the clutch safety switch)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck is in the garage I don't have service out there yes the clutch has to be pushed in to start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I installed every thing if you push the break pedal it would make a buzzing sound but no power for lights or to start
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, is this a 6 cyl? Also, does the instrument cluster light up? like the brake light and alt. light when you turn the key on?

Your sure this battery has 12 volts and is good and charged correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.0 engine v8 when you put the key the normal lights in the dash would come on but soon as you turn the key the go out and it buzz sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is brand new its good
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, I follow you. See if the RED/BLUE wire that pushes onto the S terminal of the Solenoid. (Make sure it's on the S terminal of the solenoid, as I have messed up and put it on I before) See if that wire has power on it when you put the key in START position and push the clutch in while you check it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the s terminal no crank just buzzing sound when turn the key
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

So you do have power on the RED/BLUE wire when the key is in START position? that's going to check our ignition switch and wiring.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

If you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, take a small screwdriver and jump the BAT. positive terminal coming from the Battery to the solenoid directly to the S terminal. it might spark a little but that's ok, does it crank then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can pull the light switch can light comes on until I turn the switch then just the buzzing sound an lights go off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would that determine if it cranks? Or if it don't?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

If it cranks then, we know our battery cables, grounds, starter, solenoid, all that stuff is working correctly. I'd jump it from the S terminal to the Battery cable terminal at the solenoid. see if cranks then, make sure it's in neutral!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will the clutch have to be pushed in even when jumping the silanoid
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

no it will not, you are jumping the circuit . so be sure it's in NEUTRAL!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it don't start what could be conclusion or if it does start what is the source of the problem
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

If it does start, we've got to trace the circuit, if it doesn't start, we've got a bad solenoid or starter motor. You wanna check it and let me know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it will be to marrow before I can check it but I'll get back to you thanks for the help
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely, let me know what you find there.