Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have been working on Ford GM and Chrysler for 15+ years and ASE master certified.
27644750

Rear window won't go down. Tried resequencing and changed

Customer Question

rear window won't go down. Tried resequencing and changed relay/fuse 46A and B Explorer sport trac 2001
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: rear vent widow
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
rear vent window on Sport trac won't go down. Tried resetting and changed 46A and B fuse/relay also #20 fuse
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, can you hear any noise from the motor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

ok, have you accessed the motor to check for power and ground?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Motor accessed but no checked
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How would I do that?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

ok here is the test we use in the shop let me know the results. Lou P.

Tests/Procedures:1. At the rear window motor assembly, check for Hot All The Time B+ at terminal 7 (Yellow/Light Green) fed from the 30A fuse #3 of the Battery Junction Box (BJB).

2. Check for B+, Key On Engine Off (KOEO) at terminal 2 (Black/Pink) fed from fuse 20, 7.5A of the Central Junction Box (CJB).

3. Check grounds at terminals 5 (Black/White) and 8 (Black).

4. If powers and grounds are OK, remove the window control switch. With switch connected and KOEO, test for a good ground on the Black/White, terminal 3.

5. If OK, verify B+ present from the motor assembly to the switch at terminals 4 Violet/Light Green, 7 Tan/Black and 9 Violet/Light Blue and repair wiring or replace window motor assembly as needed if voltage not present on all or some.

6. If voltage is present, test operation of the switch by back probing terminal 4 with a voltmeter. Exercise the window switch to 'CLOSE' and verify voltage on the wire is pulled to ground through the switch. Next perform the same test on terminal 9 while exercising the switch to 'OPEN'. The final test is on terminal 7 for 'VENT' position. If the switch operates correctly, replace the window motor assembly.

NOTE: After replacement, a Rear Window Motor initialization will need to be performed.

A. To perform, Start with the ignition in the OFF position. Open the driver door.

B. Turn the ignition to the ON position.

C. Press the power rear window control switch vent button six times.

D. Turn the ignition to the OFF position. The driver door must be OPEN.

E. Press the power rear window control switch vent button six times.

F. Turn the ignition to the ON position. The power rear window will move down-up-down-up approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement indicates that the power rear window motor has entered initialization mode.

G. Rotate and hold the power rear window control switch to the CLOSE position until the window stalls into the upper header seal.

H. Momentarily rotate the power rear window control switch to the OPEN position and release. The power rear window will carry out a one-touch down operation until the window stalls at the bottom of the travel stop designed into the window regulator.

I. Rotate and hold the power rear window control switch to the CLOSE position. Continue to hold the switch until after the window stalls into the upper header seal and carries out the down-up movement. This down-up movement is approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement indicates that the power rear window motor has been successfully initialized.

J. Verify correct operation of the power rear window by moving the window to the fully open, vent, then fully closed positions. If the window does not operate correctly, carefully repeat this procedure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Step,one and 2 hot. How do I check ground
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

you just flip the test light, so instead of hooking the alligator clip to ground you hook it to a power so when you touch ground it will light up. hope that makes sense.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may recieve my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE 1 or 2 stars AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! Lou P.

Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.