Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2006 Ford f 350 charging system... My big baby is being

Customer Question

2006 Ford f 350 charging system... My big baby is being difficult
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I sure can. Ready for the long story?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a charging issue with my 2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Single Alternator system (110amp), 4 Pin FICM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you explain to me a little more on what is occuring with the charging system as well as what has been tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this issue here?

Was anything after market wired into your vehicle like a remote start or alarm system at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete! .... So. It was a progressive death. At first my alternator (original) was dropping more and more. The truck was done with me when the Alt pushed out only 7.32 Multimeter tested. I bought (now 2 separate alternators but same ones). With the Alternator replaced, it ran good for about a good day. As I was driving down the highway, she started losing power drastically. Like the current wasn't providing enough to the FICM. It died on shoulder of road, and I couldn't restart it. I had it towed to my house. I commenced to buying a brand new half shell 48v... Installed. Simple. No broken pins, no he's damage to the wiring harness. I tried again to start 'er up. BAM! Battery failure, it wouldn't even turn over. I found out the first owner got cheap and didn't replace both batteries at the same time (hence the utter failure there). I commenced to buying two 850CCamps batteries. Installed. She began to try so hard to turn over, kept trying. She didn't give up. I let the flow plugs run several cycles. I finally got it to start, and I felt/heard it hit the appropriate idle!!!!!! Yay I said, but, no, she went back to rough..... And cut off. I volted the Alts (both) .... Both around mid 13s. No luck! ...... I wanted to make 110% sure it wasn't either of these alternators. One tested great!!!!! The other wouldn't even register, however the bearing spin just fine. She still won't maintain her idle, and rough rough idle. :-( Fuses have not been looked at, I did accidentally forget to disconnect the negative ground from batt, I sparked with my wrench the +Terminal on Alt (still tested fine afterwards.) And then here I am :-)
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here using a scan tool that is fully compatible with your model to check these codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was throwing random contribution codes prior to it having these issues, typically on the driver side roW.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you post the code number info here at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't rescanned it lately, but it was P0272, 76, 78 80. I believe, all four random contribution cords.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you re check the codes possibly to see what codes are coming up now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't right now, it as warrantied with a automotive shop here, they are checking their faulty work. I decided to let them service the warranty as the response time between us is severely lagging, takes too long - and as I needed it up, the response time is just more of a hassle. I do thank you however.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if there is anything else I can help with here let me know.

Thanks Pete