Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

2012 escape. After turning ignition key and engine cranked

Customer Question

2012 escape. After turning ignition key and engine cranked the ignition contues to fire 6-8 times. This intermittent but worrisome
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that's is the best description I can give :-)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no I just don't want to sound like an imbecile when I take it in- or get used to fatten someones daily take.
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Only 38k miles, just had new rotors put in, old were rusty they said. Also some kind of degumming dome in the fuel line....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Just so I'm clear, when you first get in to start the car, you turn the key to START position, and the engine cranks, but it takes 6-8 times before the engine will start and run on it's on? Is that correct? So the problem would be a long cranking before it starts? Just trying to understand your question fully. Let us know, thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No not a long cranking. It cranks quickly but the starter doesn't quit trying to start it when it is already started.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
actually it does quit but not until it has tried 6-8 more times and it is intermittent, doesn't always do this
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, I follow you, so the starter is hanging up and you get that noise until it disengages.

The problem is most likely the starter motor itself. the bendix gets stuck out and doesn't return as quick as it should,
The only other thing I that comes to mind it could be, would be the starter relay sticking, but I highly doubt that.
You could verify it buy using a 12 volt test light on the small wire at the starter motor, as soon as you start it and the key returns to the RUN position, power should be cut to that wire, If it did not, it may be the starter relay, however, that would be uncommon. If you replace the starter motor I feel confident that will resolve your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Absolutely, Thank you! Let me know if you have any further questions.