James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2009 Ford escape and am having issues with the

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Ford escape and am having issues with the power steering not working unless you cycle the car starting? the steering column was replaced recently at the dealership yet sometimes you still have to restart the car to get the power steering to work? any ideas
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible?
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Hello, do you have your vin number by chance?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can get it but don't have it handy right now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
your still there?
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

I am. Usually if you have to restart it for the power steering the electronic power steering is failing.

Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

If you had your vin I can see if there is an active recall or technical bullitens out on your vehicle. It sounds like the electronic power steering gear may be failing though.