James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Today I bought a used 2005 Ford Escape hybrid with 130K

Customer Question

Today I bought a used 2005 Ford Escape hybrid with 130K ***** ***** on it. It passed the state inspection and I trusted the dealer it came from. Tonight though each time I've opened the door there is a sound like something adjusting. I found your post from two years ago and am sick to my stomach. Could this be that expense ABS pump problem?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It didn't happen when we test drove the car, nor when we came to pick it up. This sound just started tonight after it sat for about two hours in our garage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Hello, when this noise happens can you feel it if you press on the brake?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I cannot.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Hmm it's tough to say without being there. If the noise is close to the driver side brake pedal but under the hood it can be the abs module. They can fail and make a constant noise from time to time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This only makes a noise when I open the door, so far. The car runs and brakes fine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
wouldn't a warning light/indicator go on if the ABS module was failing?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

What kind of noise does it make when you open the door?