Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Brake lights and /u lights on 1983 Ford F-150 are not

Customer Question

Brake lights and b/u lights on 1983 Ford F-150 are not working. Tail lights are. Checked the fuse, the bulbs and they are okay
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Should I check the ground on it? If so, how?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hope to
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Old farm truck, now Senior in High schooler's truck
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the brake light switch is bad. Look under the dash at the top of the brake pedal and you will see a switch that gets pushed when the brake pedal is applied.

Unplug the connector and jumper the 2 wires that you unplugged together with a paper clip or a small piece of wire and see if the brake lights come on. If they do, replace the switch.

The reverse lights are on a different circuit and they get power from the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission (if its an automatic trans)

Have you had a chance to jumper those 2 wires?