Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2005 e250 just replaced fuel pump, filter and pressure

Customer Question

2005 e250 just replaced fuel pump, filter and pressure sensor at rail. Now dies and runs very rough in drive under light or heavy throttle. Idles ok in p or neutral. Van seems to always have fuel pressure or pump issues like not starting immediately after filling then starts or a slight jolting or loss of power on turns and up hill intermittently. But it's a daily driver work van and never left us stranded until it gave out going up hill and wouldn't restart. Towed home and it started fine again. So figured to replace pump filter and pressure sensor and now this. All motor craft parts. On top of this this tried to scan for code but no power to obd2 but no light on dash except when dies says "check gauges"
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. Have you checked the fuse for the data link connector?
  2. Do you have the ability to check and monitor the fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
according to fuse diagram #23 is for cig and dlc, there was no fuse in this spot so put one and nothing. But I know I've had power there because it was scanned for codes before like two months ago. 2. yes my buddy has gauges to check pressure

What liter engine do you have?

Are you behind on any maintenance like filters, or tune up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4 Maybe due spark plugs but every thing else is changed religiously

Thanks, ***** ***** due for new plugs, you will want to do that since plugs worn out can cause the issues you have mentioned. I would also like for you to monitor the fuel pressure while driving, running pressure should not get out of the 28-45 psi specs.

For the data link not allowing connection confirm:

light blue/white is power

black/white is ground

black is ground

If these are good then let me know because there are network tests to perform next.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has thrown a code for "lean fuel" before but cleared it and symptoms went away temporarily so figured pump was going bad never a real issue until it died on fwy and had to get towed last week. Then Even started when it came back fine. But bit the bullet and changed out pump, Now all this after job . I will check pressure tomorrow but it's not drivable nand change plugs. Can I let you know tomorrow? I will definitely give a good review if you can help me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read your some other posts and sounds like you know your stuff

Sure we can continue this conversation for 7 days.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pressure is 32 psi in park and in drive hits 70 then drops to 30 ish immediately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just exchanged motorcraft pump and put new one and same thing 30-35 psi also changed spark plugs and mass airflow sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any ideas

Thanks so its not the ignition system or fuel system to blame. When running rough is it just bogging down or misfiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bogging down. After a little coaxing it wil start and idle in park or neutral, but it will bog under throttle or in drive. Maybe the pcm or ecu? Need flash by dealer.? Still no power to obd2. Also been reading threads on fuel module sensor on the driver side frame rail by spare tire. Think I found that but doesn't appear corroded. Maybe that? Definitely feels fuel related like it ain't getting fuel properly but not sure. Is 30-35 psi high enough? Also says "check gauges"on dash when it bogs to a stall. Any other way to run diagnostic w/o obd2?

Can you do the steps below to get the data link connector working.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/PCMdiag.pdf

I doubt its the PCM bad.

Can you clean the MAF sensor.

30-35 is enough pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
followed the steps for dlc and got higher ohms than required. couldn't find the issue but ran power to dlc to communicate with van, showed no codes or faults. also cleaned maf sensor still barely running and bogs when given throttle. blackish smoke coming out exaust when forced to idle. still seems lack of fuel but idk. also replaced fuel pump drive module thought that had to be it cuz little corroded but new one and still same. TPS or IAC valve or pcv valve???? This one has got me stumped and don't wanna keep throwing parts at it . thx

Since the scan tool will now communicate. What is the MAF sensor reading at hot idle as well as the fuel trims?