James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I need help with a fuel level data error I have dropped tank

Customer Question

i need help with a fuel level data error I have dropped tank and checked sending unit, not bad I get the code with my cluster out as well
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my instrument panel has a fuel level data error does not matter how much fuel is in tank the ohm reading at the cluster is what it should be
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

What year and model Ford are you working on and what is the actual code you have? Example P2342

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2006 f350 diesel no vofes just fuel level data error on cluster

Thank you. I am not a diesel expert so I will reopen your question to the diesel experts.

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Hello, does the fuel level read empty at all times?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have eliminated the sending unit, I have new one and it reads exactly the same as the one in the vehicle.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I remove battery, error goes away for about one minute then right back
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

The only really possibility left is either a bad wire between the sending unit and the cluster. The other option is the cluster could have failed. I would recommend having a shop performing an on demand test on the instrument cluster. You will probably find a broken wire though between the sending unit and cluster.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can read ohms from the cluster connector, I tested it with a new sending unit, this eliminated a broken wire, I could move the sending unit and watch the ohms change
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Ok if you tested the wires at the cluster then your cluster has failed. If you contact Ford they have an exchange program for clusters. This cluster will have to be programmed to the vehicle to ensure proper operation.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is a new cluster with lifetime guarantee
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Has it been programmed?

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

If it has been programmed to the vehicle itself it won't work correctly

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it has been programmed with my miles and everything
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

I would recommend having them sending you another cluster because it's not working correctly. You have good wiring and sending unit. All you have left in the system in a faulty cluster. The cluster aren't direct plug and play and that can still be the issue. The mileage is programmed in but it doesn't match the vin. If they are able to do that the reman or new cluster is still defective and will need to be swapped again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would flashing pcm fix issue?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kswzfd2rnnkxo0d/2016-02-28%2021.33.54.jpg?dl=0

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Here is the wire diagram. It is wired directly to the cluster. The PCM won't affect it. It could be a pin fit at the cluster. If the pins for the sending unit are wore out even by a paper clip it can cause the issue. If there isn't a pin fit concern it goes back to the cluster.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is a TSB regarding the P0460 fuel issue which I had at one point that error
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Correct there is. That is for faulty fuel level sensors which you don't have according to your testing

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Hello, were you able to get your cluster working correctly?