A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2000 Ford F-250. Momentarily starts if I spray gas into

Customer Question

2000 Ford F-250. Momentarily starts if I spray gas into throttle. Relays and fuses good. Fuel pump?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like a fuel pump problem. Check for power at the fuel pump inertia switch with it plugged in on the DARK GREEN/YELLOW striped wire and the PINK/BLACK striped wire while cranking the engine. If you do it with the key on, you will only get power there for 3 to 5 seconds. If you have power, then the fuel pump is the problem. But if not, then we need to look back at the relay, fuse and wiring.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How hard is it to replace the fuel pump? I don't have a lift. Drop the tank or remove the bed of the truck? How much would a mechanic charge?

If you have a couple of friends to help you lift the bed off, it would be easier. Other wise you will have to lower the tank. A mechanic will charge 2.0 flat rate hours to replace the pump.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok cool. This will take me a while (few weeks) to go through. Do we keep this open?

You can reply back on this page. Not sure if it will stay open for a few weeks thogh.