A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

99 mustang convertible top won't go up or down. No noise

Customer Question

99 mustang convertible top won't go up or down. No noise coming from pump or motor. Previously it would go down and not back up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just bought this vehicle. When I first tried to put the top down it worked fine on the way down.. It would not go back up. There was no noise at all when I pushed the button to go back up. Now it won't do anything when I push the button. No noise, doesn't attempt to do anything.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 12 months ago.

If the convertible top hydraulic pump did not make any noise, the problem is either the switch or the relays. You will need a test light or digital multi meter to do a few electrical tests. Please let me know if you have either of these.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have both.

Ok. You can either remove the rear seat bottom and back cushions to access the convertible top motor and relays or go through the trunk and remove the inner panels to get to it.

The is a circuit breaker in the engine bay fuse box that sends power to the relays and fuse #20 in the dash fuse box is power to the switch.

Below is the wiring diagram for the top.

Make sure both relays have power on the RED/LIGHT GREEN striped wire with the key turned on. Then we will have to check for power from the switch to the relays after that.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have replaced the circuit breaker in the engine bay and fuse #20. Would it be easier to check for power to and from the switch before pulling the seats out?

You can.

Fuse #20 sends power to the switch and the switch sends power to the relays.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Are there only 2 wires at the switch? If not how do I check for power?

There should be three wires at the switch.

White/Pink striped

Violet

Gray/Light Blue striped

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
A simple switch would have power to one wire and power to the second once the button is depressed. What am I in for here? Also how does the switch come out will it pop out if carefully pried out?

Gently pop it up. One wire will have constant power, one wire will have power when the switch is pressed down and the other wire will have poser when the switch is pressed up.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Got it. Now let's say there is power there. I then would remove the back seat and check for power where and in what succession? Is there one relay for up and one for down?

Look at the diagram I posted. There is an up relay and a down relay that send power to the pump motor when the switch is pressure for raise or lower top. Power goes from the switch to the up or down relay to energize them.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok. I'm on the east coast and it is dark and I don't have a garage. I'll be doing the diag work tomorrow. Will you be avail if I have any further questions?

I am in Florida, so I am in the same boat as you. I'll be on line tomorrow during the day.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Great thanks for all of your help. On another note this has a 3.8 is there anything I can do to get more hp from this engine? I see these chips you can buy that claims to add 100 hp. Is that for real? If not what can be done without opening the engine?

Cold air intakes, better exhaust. The chips will require the proper programing tune that only performance shops can do properly. And 100 HP is just a claim, especially on the 3.8L V6.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

Your very welcome.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have power at all three wires at the switch. I then pulled the switch out and tested the wires at the connector. There is power at all three wires at the connector with the switch unplugged? This is puzzling to me as I expected constant power to only one wire.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
According to the schematic the white/p wire is the constant hot connector. I pulled the switch out and connected a jumper wire from the battery to the center pin of the switch is where the w/p wire connects to. I then tested each of the remaining pins on the switch and each of them light up when the switch is depressed. The up button lights one pin and the lower button lights the other so the switch appears to be in working order. I'm still puzzled as to why there is constant power at all three wires at the connector without the switch in place.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 11 months ago.

Pull the circuit breaker for the top which is in the engine bay fuse box. Then check for power on those wires.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is only power coming from the w/p wire as it should be.

You will need to check the wiring at the relays and the top pump motor behind the rear seat in the trunk. Unplug the motor first and do the check with the circuit breaker back in. Then unplug the 2 relays and retest.