AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Starter 't crank, I crossed wires while installing a car

Customer Question

starter don't crank
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I crossed wires while installing a car stereo, now the starter don't crank
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 9 months ago.

Hello, In order to try and help, year?model? engine? what is working and what is not? what have you done and tried?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1997 ford explorer 5.0. replaced the starter relay. thinkingvfuusable link maybe? it'll click like the plugs are going when I turn the key but no action from the starter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the flashers come on the blower, lights, etc. it just wont start

we have to do some power tests, do you have a testlight or voltmeter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
testlight

i can not do a call as a problem on your end JA will notify you, meantime.. remove the starter relay, have someone hold key to CRANK, I need to know how many terminals show power

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where do u test? one red lead coming from the battery, one red on the same post to somewhere else I suppose and two black leads on the bottom post with the out bound red lead

The small wire hooked to small post by itself

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry. Ivan going to run to the pull it place for a used PCM before it closes just in case.

confused. I am going to opt out

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Remove the anti theft relay and check to see if two out of the four female pins have battery voltage with the key in the CRANK position. If so, then check power coming in and coming out of the transmission range sensor with the key in the crank position after reinstalling the anti theft relay. The problem could be a bad starter relay or a bad starter.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of your starting circuit.