Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a Focus of 2010, Was replacing the radio unit new but

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Focus of 2010, Was replacing the radio unit for a new but now the car will not start anymore. The red light on the dashboard is flashing quick. Can you help me? I can open en close de doors but not start.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes please help me so i can fix this myself?
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Chcked the fuses and the power of the battary. All OK Replaced the new with the old radio en installed the code of this old radio.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have the battery disconnected, when you installed the radio?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It looks like the car does not recognize the keys anymore
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Tim, are you there?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you lost the programming for the key, if the light is flashing, this is the problem, you will need to have the keys reprogrammed into the computer, the dealer can do this, but w use mobile locksmith to come out to the vehicle and do this, they are cheaper than the dealer and saves a tow bill, our local locksmith charges 70 dollars to cpme out and do this, the dealer gets over 200 dollars,Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you tell me what happend? I need to replace this old car radio?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

was the new radio a factory replacement, or an aftermarket radio?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now when I put the key in and turn this tp position ll the dashboard turn into blak. Before this the dashboard was alive but when I tried to start the car it won't start and the led on the dashboard stated to blink.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The new radio is a Android non-Ford replacement.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

ok, this is the problem, the factory radio in these runs on the can bus system, and is an integral part in the security system, the after market radio does not communicate with the can bus system, the factory radio has to be in this for the instrument cluster and the PATS system to work, when you removed the old radio, the PATS system lost its program for the key, then when reinstalled, it wont start until you reprogram the key,Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tim, I can use a non-Ford car radio but I have to reprogram my keys? Is this waht you mean?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

no, the radio is a key part in the sytem, and the aftermarket does not have a way to communicate with the other modules, you will need a factory radio in this to work properly,Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no sulution to work around this? You can buy all kind of non-Ford card based on a touch screen android platform. How do they operate?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

you can install it, but you would need to leave the original radio in somehow, the computer uses a can bus system for communication on these, its basically the info highway for the computer, and the can bus runs through the radio, so it must be inline for the system to work,Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, thank you for your help.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, as this is the only way I get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Is there a reason you dont want to rte me??