Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

This morning my 2004 e250 horn began to blow all by itself

Customer Question

this morning my 2004 e250 horn began to blow all by itself after being parked for about an hour. I disconnected the battery after an hour I re-connected it after a while it started blowing again
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's about all that I know about this. My employee who normally drives this truck stated that he had a hard time starting it this morning he had to lift up on the gear selector to get the vehicle to crank over. After it started he drove into work about 15 miles with no problem. after he parked it the horn started sounding on its own
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: that would be nice if I could
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: that's about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what is described here this sounds like shorted out wiring in the steering column.This will cause the horn to sound off like this here as well as the hard starting until lifting on the shifter itself.The wiring inside the steering column needs inspected as I suspect one or more wires are shorted together causing this issue here.I have run into this before having to repair the wiring.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete