Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2007 f150. After it has been running while on a

Customer Question

I have a 2007 f150. After it has been running for a while on a warm day and you turn it off it occasionally, almost daily, will not start until you let it cool down for 20 minutes or so. I replaced the starter and it still does the same thing. You can hear it click in the fuse box when you try to start it but that is it. It will not turn over or anything until you wait for it to cool.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty much it. I thought it would be the solenoid but apparently not.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. What liter engine?
  2. Auto or manual transmission?
  3. Do you own a test light of volt meter to diagnose this?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5.4
automatic
no

Since you do not have any tools to do the diagnostics needed. The next best choice would be to replace the starter relay and let me know those results.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is something to do with something heating up under the hood when the engine is turned off. If I leave the hood open or open it after shutting off the engine it will cool down shortly and start. My guess is it is the computer by the firewall.I

Since it is clicking when trying to start that means the PCM is getting a signal to the starter relay.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Isn't the starter relay in the fuse box in the cab? It does not heat up. The PCM feels extremely hot when I turn off the truck. Is that normal.

Yes the PCM will get hot from the processor board inside it. Yes the starter relay is in the fuse box. If you had a test light or volt meter we could diagnose this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I'm not mistaken the starter relay fuse is one of the three big ones on top and are all the same. I switched them around when it wouldn't start several times and it did nothing. Am I still missing something. My whole premise goes back to how rapidly it cools down with the hood open and it didn't give me any problem all winter until a warm day showed up.

It sounds like your wanting to try a new PCM. You will need to go to the dealer for that because it will need to be programmed once replaced so the keys will be programmed to the vehicle.