Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My 1997 F-150 4x4 truck would not fire off one morning, it

Customer Question

My 1997 F-150 4x4 truck would not fire off one morning, it would turn over but not start up. I had it towed, I think to the wrong shop! The diagnoses was the fuel pump, made sense. Pulling it off of the lot it hesitated a little when I gave it gas. I thought it was somewhat normal because of where it is located, as I'm sure a certain amount of dirt feel inside of the gas tank while changing the pump. At this time about two months later it has gotten horrible. Of course the "Mechanic" that did this is no-where to be found, not that I'm seeking more repairs from him but to take out a little frustration. I work out of this truck. Others have suggested it to be a vacuum leak, this might sound crazy but it seems to run better at times with ambient temperature change. I feel if were a vacuum leak it would be consistent. I since then googled & watched a video that guided me in rebuilding the rear end of the same truck, this hesitation problem is over my head. I'd love to keep this truck as long as I can but be able to depend on it the same, it's a tough one. I would be very grateful for a professionals opinion that would help to resolve my problem with it. HELP!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. What liter engine?
  2. Any warning lights on?
  3. Does it run worse with the engine cold or hot or outside air temp cold or hot?
  4. Does it start and idle fine engine cold and hot?
  5. Can you do your best to explain what you feel, notice, and hear from startup to 70 mph?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Liter=4.2 / no warning or engine lights / worse when engine is hot, it seems to run a little better in cooler weather. When i initially start it up, engine cold or hot it idles fine. I always let it idle for a couple/three minutes, when i drop it from park into drive the engine dies most of the time. I start it back up and it takes off like nothings wrong the second time. Once i get going it does fine and while gaining speed again fine at 50 to 60 MPH. It doesn't matter if i'm cruising 45/55/65 when i let off the gas to come to a stop or approach a red light and need to stop, as it's idling down it will begin to surge back and forth, back and forth revving up and down almost shutting off. Now this seems to get worse when i've been driving for a while and engine is hot. Basically once i go from brake to gas at a red light and get past that hesitation point and doesn't shut off it seems normal. It always ran smooth until the fuel pump went out and was changed out by that mechanic. `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Thanks, ***** ***** have the ability to check the fuel pressure?

Once started if apply a little throttle can you keep it from stalling when shifted to D?

When coming to a stop if you shift to neutral does the surge issue go away?

While surging if you apply throttle can you keep a steady rpm?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris