Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

This is ***** ***** and I have a 2006 ford f150 FX4. The gas

Customer Question

Hi, this is ***** ***** and I have a 2006 ford f150 FX4. The gas gauge goes all over the place and the seatbelt warning stays on for about 5 minutes even though all the seatbelts are locked in. Also my rear taillights dont work at all and when i turn my gauge lights on the dome lights come on. I cannot figure this out! Can you help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just bought this truck yesterday and everything else works great, the battery is good and has a good ground
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  piciu1982 replied 10 months ago.

lets start with simple things, gauge light knob when turned all the way will turn dome light on, turned all the way down will shut down dome lights. now seat belts, underneath the driver seat you ill find round white connector with two pins in it, you have to use meter to check resistance between pins, with seat belt buckled and unbuckled to check if its working, as for gas gauge its very common for fuel level sensor to go bad, best way to check it is with meter and fuel pump removed from the vehicle, you connect black wire and purple wire to ohm meter and move level sensor up and down checking if reading is changing smoothly, usualy when they go bad gauge shows bad reading belov 1/4 of the tank and either shows good reading or empty or full, also it works good abouve 1/4, but like I said best way is to remove it and check it